Woophy is an online project to try and create a world map populate with interesting photos from all over the world. A bit like Google Panoramio, the site allows users to upload photos of places around the world and place them on a huge interactive map. While not quite as fully featured as Panoramio, it is still a worthwhile attempt at such a project. This isn’t quite a typical photo sharing site, but is still an interesting idea if you are interested in travel and photography.
- Woophy is completely free to use
- Site attempting to create a work of art from photos of the world
- Woophy stands for World of Photography
- Fun and easy to use map interface
- Upload as many photos as you want (as long as they are relevant)
- Regular competitions to win Woophy t-shirts
- Download other people’s pictures to use for any non-commercial use
- Send messages to other members of the site
- Your privacy is protected at all times
- Add comments to photos you upload
- User forums to provide feedback and discuss the site
- Rate photos and have yours rated in return
- Completely free to use
- Works with almost any web browser
Once you have signed up for an account you are free to upload as many photos to Woophy as you want as long as they are in keeping with the theme of the site – to document the world through photos. Uploading is a fairly simplistic affair and the web based form only allows for one photo at a time so we don’t think you will want to upload too many in one sitting. However, it works without any hitches and since it’s a free site we won’t moan too much.
Even without an account you are free to browse the interactive world map which allows you to see the photos other people have uploaded. During the upload process the photo is associated with a point on the map and you can click on any of these to see the photos for that location. There aren’t quite as many photos as sites like Panoramio, but there seems to be a strong community who do upload. This is reflected in the forums too, where members can chat about the site, travel, photography or whatever else comes to mind.
Woophy allows members to rate each other’s photos and report misplaced or inappropriate images which allows for truly community generated and moderated content. There are also regular competitions to win Woophy t-shirts to try and encourage people to upload their best snaps. Members also have a profile page where they can post a bit of information about themselves and let others see what their rating on the site is based on the ratings of photos they have posted.
Woophy is a good attempt at an interesting project, but it perhaps isn’t as unique as it would like to think it is. However, the site works well and provides some entertainment looking up your favourite cities in the world. If you want a fully fledged photo sharing site to share photos with our friends and family we wouldn’t recommend this though. Instead we would point you in the direction of our top ten list of photo sharing sites where you will find some great sites to try.
Incoming search terms:
- woophy (3)
- woophy fotos (2)
- interactive world map upload photos (1)
- mejuba interactive world map (1)
- woophy foto (1)
- woophy photographers (1)
- woophyfriends free comunity chatt (1)